Monday 25 June 2012

Best in Show



With no more shows scheduled this month I thought it might be a good time for a mid-year performance review.  How have this years shows been?  What have been the highlights/lowlights?  And so on.

My top show:

1. Noel Gallagher - my expectations for this weren't that high, but having never seen Oasis I thought this would be worthwhile.  It turned out to be great.  Gallagher Sr is a great singer, and his new album is as good as most of Oasis' material.  He also did a good job of mixing old and new, and rarities and big hits.  The recording of this also turned out great.

Honourable mentions:

2. My Morning Jacket
3. Jason Isbell
4. Jason Isbell/Ryan Adams
5. Wavves

Worst show:

Soundgarden - the best of this year probably doesn't match the best of last year, and fortunately the worst of this year also doesn't match the worst of last year (Big Boi).  The problem with this gig was the awful (awful!) sound.  It was muddy and bass heavy.  For some songs it was pretty much impossible to know what was being sung, and things never got any better.  I've heard bad things about Sidney Myer, but its hard to believe that any band (or promoter) would put up with a venue this bad.  Hopefully it will prove to be better when I see the Black Keys there.

No comments:

Post a Comment