Wednesday 27 November 2013

Neutral Milk Hotel - Forum Theatre, 15 and 16 November 2013


What can you really say about a show that any reasonably person would have said would never happen? Simply seeing this band would have been enough, but, despite all the positive reviews, my expectations were pretty low, given the standard set by other reunion tours and the fact that Mangum has only recently returned to playing regularly in public. Fortunately the band was amazing and Jeff Mangum's voice doesn't seem to have been affected by time or his period away from the spotlight.

The first night's crowd wasn't as respectful as I'd expected - the person talking through Oh Comely only stopped when she saw the look of violence on my face. That talking and occassional lame or bizarre shouts from the crowd make it into the recording, but they generally don't undermine it too much.

The second night was probably slightly better than the first. Obviously there isn't much room for setlist variation, but they mixed up the order and threw in April 8th. The sound quality of the recording is a bit of an improvement over night one. I doubt anyone will notice, but the lights come on at the end of the set and only went off for the second encore as people were filing out, so the fade in is very short and the acoustics are slightly different as I'd moved to a different spot.

If anyone is interested, I recorded both Superchunk sets as well (up next week), but not M Ward.

15 November 2013

16 November 2013

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for taping these! What equipment do you use? I recorded the first night but couldn't make the second.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. I use a Tascam DR2D (http://tascam.com/product/dr-2d/). It's quite a big recorder, but the payoff is that the internal mics are good enough that you don't need external mics.

      Delete
    2. Cheers. Look like an interesting little unit. I like the dual recording. I'm still on an old iRiver, might be worth upgrading at some point...

      Do you record straight to mp3, or wave? If wave, do you ever post your lossless versions anywhere?

      Thanks again.

      Delete
  2. Damn, was hoping for the M Ward opening when I saw this;) Went to his Auckland show and he was so great, just love him (not keen on she though).
    Thanks for the rest anyway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about that. I'm not a big fan of him, but I was impressed by his performance on the first night. I actually tried to tape it, but only realised at the end of the set that I'd forgotten to start the recorder :(

      Delete