Monday 14 January 2013

Best Recordings of 2012

I thought I’d finish up my best of 2012 lists with the best recordings I’ve put up here. These are the shows that are of sufficient quality (in terms of performance and audio) to make them worth listening to regardless of whether you attended.

Noel Gallagher – the guy knows what the fans want and delivers in spades. It doesn’t hurt that his album (and the new material he played) can hold their own with any of the Oasis material he played.

My Morning Jacket – not much talking and some things that didn’t make a lot of sense, but the music was stellar.

Simone Felice/Josh Ritter – what an amazing double-header! I love Josh Ritter and he certainly lived up to expectations, but Simone Felice proved that his post-Felice Brothers work deserves to put him on a par with his former band.

War on Drugs – maybe my favourite show of the year, and the only time I’ve left a show desperate to hear more. These guys are my discovery of the year. Hopefully they’ll be back soon.

Radiohead – biggest tour of the year? The most anticipated? Regardless, it managed to live up to the hype with an amazing show mixing new and old with a light show that has set a new benchmark for arena shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment