Thursday 16 August 2012

Jack White - 25 July 2012


There’s enormous love for Jack White, which isn’t really surprising given what he’s achieved with the White Stripes, Racounteurs, Dead Weather, his various production and promotion roles, and now his solo career. Having said all that, I’ve got to say that I’m not a big fan of his solo album. It has about half a dozen songs that I like, and a bunch of stuff that is perfectly fine, but a bit dull.

And that pretty much drives my opinion of this show. While most people loved it, I thought it dragged through the middle when he played some of the lesser tracks from his solo album and a couple of covers that were of similar quality. Having said all that, a set is always going to be pretty good when it features a countrified Hotel Yorba, Top Yourself (let down by an odd, and very long and rambling, but apparently true, intro), Steady as she Goes, Ball and Biscuit, My Doorbell, Carolina Drama, and the obligatory Seven Nation Army.

There seems to be something about middle-aged people who seldom go to shows that requires them to talk inanely throughout. I got stuck next to a few of them unfortunately, so theres a bit of talking on this. In an odd way, given that their chatter is pretty much incessant, its easier to treat it as background noise, than if they only broke in occasionally.

[Oops, that was embarassing. I forgot I'd set this to go up automatically, with the intention of adding some details later].

http://www.mediafire.com/?8bduqe2ics8cx

No comments:

Post a Comment