Thursday 3 May 2012

John Fogerty - 27 March 2012


I was intrigued to see how this show went, since my previous experiences of entire albums being played have been poor - the whole thing loses the excitement of not knowing what is next, and for the band the opportunity to play different things each night.  This show avoided that by making the playing of an entire album (for tonight Cosmo's Factory (fwiw my prefence would have been Willy and the Poor Boys)) around half the set, with the remainder made up of greatest hits.  The format worked better, but mainly because the downsides of playing an entire album only lasted for part of the show.  Maybe for big CCR fans the opportunity to hear songs that they almost certainly wouldn't have otherwise heard made up for this, but for me, I'd rather just a straight greatest hits show.

As you'd expect, John Fogerty is an experience showman and put on a good show, despite the crowd being fairly uncertain about engaging.  The set (after Cosmo's Factory) was a good mix of solo material, covers, and classic CCR.  I'm sure that there were lots of other songs people would have liked to have heard, but with a back catalog like this that is pretty much a given regardless of the setlist.

Soundwise this is another recording I'm very pleased with.  The guy sitting next to was pretty into it (you can hear his comments on the recording, and yes, he did look like he really might have been at Woodstock), but generally there isn't too much crowd noise, and the comments that are audible aren't so frequent that they're annoying.  Overall, this is another solid, but not spectacular show.  The whole album as part of (rather than all of) the set format doesn't quite work for me, but I wouldn't mind seeing another couple of similar shows before making reaching a definite verdict (damn you Roger Daltrey for cancelling).

Ramble Tamble
Before You Accuse Me
Travellin' Band
Ooby Dooby
Lookin' Out My Back Door
Run Through the Jungle
Up Around the Bend
My Baby Left Me
Who'll Stop the Rain
I Heard it Through the Grapevine
Long As I Can See the Light
Centerfield
Hey Tonight
Born on the Bayou
Gunslinger
Blue Moon Nights
Hot Rod Heart
Keep on Chooglin'
Have You Ever Seen the Rain?
Oh, Pretty Woman
Down on the Corner
Bad Case of Loving You
The Old Man Down the Road
Fortunate Son

Rockin' All Over the World
Proud Mary

http://www.mediafire.com/?x4dpqv6ldpt5u

No comments:

Post a Comment